10 Questions with Novelist Gerald Summers (@mobleymeadows)





This Author Spotlight features Temecula, California-based writer Gerald Summers. Gerald is a retired lawyer, a teacher, former police officer and probation officer, and an historian.

1.How did you get into writing?
I’ve been writing all my life.  I wrote reports as a police officer, probation officer, and as a lawyer.  My specialty in law was in trial briefs, law and motion, and appellate work.  I was once considered the best appellate writer in California and was once introduced as such by the Chief Justice of the 4th District Court of Appeal in San Diego.

2.What do you like best (or least) about writing?
The endorphins that are released during the process of creation. This compares to the stress hormones that are released when writing legal documents.

3.What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?
I do not outline.  I follow the W plot diagram in my head after deciding what the story will be about and have done my basic research. I work when the spirit moves and do not let it interfere with my life.  I write about what I know, do my research, if any is needed, while I am writing.

4.Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”
I like military histories, science fiction, and mysteries.  I am currently reading the books of David Bishop; The BeholderThe WomanWho Killed Garson Talmadge; and The Third Coincidence.

5.Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?
Quote marks should be outside all other punctuation.

6.What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?
I use the Oxford Comma frequently, because that is the way I was taught.

7.What is your book about and how did it come to fruition?
I have one book currently published.  It is called, “Mobley’s Law, A Mobley Meadows Novel.”  A sequel is now at the publisher and will be released when the cover art is complete in about two weeks.  It is called, “Curses, A Mobley Meadows Novel.”  The third in this series is about half finished and will be called, “Mobley’s War, A Mobley Meadows Novel.” I decided to write in three different genres: non-traditional western novels; science fiction; and military fiction.  I had so much fun writing westerns, I decided to stick with it.

8.What’s your current writing project?
The third book in my trilogy, “Mobley’s War", a Mobley Meadows Novel.

9.What book(s) are you currently reading?
John Berry’s, “A Night of Horrors.”

10. Who or what inspires your writing?
I am inspired by the history of the west and try to make sure my novels are based around actual events.

Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where people can read your published stories, buy your book, etc.

My novel, “Mobley’s Law,” can be found on Amazon.com; Barnes & Noble.com; and Smashwords.com; or may be purchased directly from my website: www.mobleymeadows.com  I try not only to be historically accurate, but to educate my readers, and to inject humor and compassion for others into my stories.  So far, my average rating is five stars.

Thank you, Gerald, for sharing your experience and work with us. Keep it up with those five-star results!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)