10 Questions with Paranormal/Fantasy Romance Writer Deborah Court (@Deborah_Court_)


This Author Spotlight features Paranormal Romance writer Deborah Court.


Deborah is the author of BOUND TO THE PRINCE (see above) and watch the book trailer:




Deborah is also the author of HOUSE OF PLEASURE.


At the age of 20, while still in college, Deborah worked as a translator/editor of romance novels, particularly historical romance. She credits this experience with teaching her a great deal about the form, structure, and mechanics of how to write a good novel, good and bad writing, and what a reader looks for in a story.


Deborah lives in a picturesque European small town.



1. How did you get into writing?
Actually, I wanted to write my own stories when I was old enough to read, and this hasn't ever changed since. As a child, I was constantly thinking about new endings to stories I finished. It is what I felt I had to do, always. But professionally, I began as a translator/editor of romance novels before I decided to write my own.


2. What do you like best (or least) about writing?
Most of all, I love the magic. Writing enables me to escape into another world or time, just like reading; but when I write, this world is created according to my own wishes and follows my own rules.


3. What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?
I try to write every day, four to five Word pages at least is my goal but sometimes I write less, sometimes much more. It's also important to take a day off now and then to reload one's creative batteries. I only outline the general idea and the characters, the rest of the story comes to me while I'm writing.


4. Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”
Arthur Conan Doyle, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jane Austen and Stephen King were most influential to my writing, but there are many authors I admire.


5. Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?
Definitely outside!


6. What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?
Usually I don't use it, but it doesn't disturb me at all when others do.


7. What is your book , "Bound to the Prince", about and how did it come to fruition?
"Bound to the Prince" is a Fantasy/Paranormal Romance, with elements from fantasy, Celtic mythology and the Arthurian saga. It's set in today's London and in Fearann, the elven kingdom - a medieval fantasy world of noble knights, monsters and magicians.


Fallen from grace, elven warrior prince Elathan is living in exile, separated from his own people. When he beholds a compelling mortal woman on a London bridge one night, he abducts her and takes her to his underground lair, commanding her to be his slave of pleasure.


Igraine Chandler, a nurse from New Jersey, isn’t exactly what you’d call a perfect romance heroine. Recently dumped by her faithless fiancĂ©, she’s heartbroken. When we meet her at the beginning of the book, she’s utterly bereft of hope, and she doesn’t know if she has the courage to go on with her life. But soon she’ll find herself in a world beyond her wildest dreams, fighting at the prince's side to reclaim his throne. But will she survive a night of untamed passion in the arms of a Fae?
Ever since I read “Lord of the Rings“ at age thirteen, I was hooked on elves. Those beautiful, immortal creatures fascinated me right from the start, and I fell instantly in love with Legolas the first time I saw Orlando Bloom in his elven costume, climbing a mountain in an early preview trailer of the first LOTR movie. Needless to say that Legolas totally kicked *ss in the following movies.


Remember him counting the orcs he killed in a brotherly competition with dwarf Gimli, and how he slid down the nose of the giant elephant? That was my kind of elf, not the ethereal ones in long, flowy dresses that glided along the halls of Rivendell. “Elfquest”, a graphic novel by Wendy and Richard Pini, made me write and draw my own fantasy comic book.
Years later, the elven fever struck me again when I saw the movie “Hellboy 2” which featured a villainous, but darkly romantic elf Nuada, wonderfully portrayed by Luke Goss. This tragic hero was just in a few scenes, but I was so fascinated by his multi-layered character that I felt inspired to create my own elven hero, Prince Elathan. This was the moment I started to write “Bound to the Prince”, and the story began to develop a life on its own.


8. What’s your current writing project?
I'm writing the second part of my Elven Warrior Trilogy, "Bound by Magic". It's the story of Calatin, an elven sorcerer who is taken to the human world against his will.


9. What book(s) are you currently reading?
"Seizure" by Kathy Reichs and "Lothaire" by Kresley Cole.


10. Who or what inspires your writing?
Everything. Books I read, people I get to know. I am also highly influenced by visual impressions, like movies and TV series. Right now, my favorites are True Blood, Game of Thrones and especially the BBC/Masterpiece version of "Sherlock". It's the best writing I've seen on TV for a long time.


Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where people can read your published stories, buy your book, etc.
I love to hear from readers! You can visit my website, blog or get in touch via Facebook, Twitter or Goodreads.


"Bound to the Prince" is available for Kindle at Amazon, and at all major retailers (Nook and all other readers). It is also available in print version. My second novel, "House of Pleasure", is available here.


Thank you for inviting me to your blog, Ryan!!! It has been a pleasure.


You're very welcome, Deborah. Let us know when BOUND BY MAGIC is available.


Be sure to visit Deborah's website and blog and purchase a copy of BOUND TO THE PRINCE today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)